Subject: Re: other sun questions...
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/03/1996 08:03:19
>     Auto-boot in progress...
>     Using IP Address 204.130.199.3 = CC82C703
>     Boot: le(0,0,0)
>     Booting from tftp server at 204.130.199.1 = CC82C701
>     Downloaded 13312 bytes from tftp server.
>
>     >> NetBSD netboot [$Revision: 1.2 $]
>     Requesting Internet address for 8:0:20:0:A7:35
>     -

> Ok - it figures out who/what it is.  It somehow (not sure how, using
> RARP perhaps?) figures out that it's IP address is 204.130.199.3,

Yes, it RARPs for this.

> However, in NetBSD netboot, it then hangs on that Requesting Internet
> address for.....

> Now, according to the bootp daemon on bitsy, no requests of any kind
> have come in.  Is bootp under linux different from bootparamd?

bootp and bootparamd are entirely different.  But your box isn't
getting far enough for the difference to matter; it's hanging when
netboot tries to RARP for the box's address.

I seem to recall that we had a discussino here a while ago about -3/50s
on which the ROM's RARP worked but netboot's RARP didn't.  I don't
recall what the resolution of it was.  Perhaps going to the
mailing-list archives would help.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu