Subject: Re: Ugh, another Newbie...
To: Reginald J. Reed <rjr@gomab.racal.com>
From: Brad Curtis <unde009e@frank.mtsu.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/25/1996 19:58:10
On Sun, 25 Feb 1996, Reginald J. Reed wrote:

> Date: Sun, 25 Feb 1996 20:43:01 -0500 (EST)
> From: Reginald J. Reed <rjr@gomab.racal.com>
> To: Brad Curtis <unde009e@frank.mtsu.edu>
> Subject: Re: Ugh, another Newbie...
>
> > The server has a large hard disk drive unit which I am told is a RAid
> > disk array... I'm not sure.
> >

> Is this drive unit the same size as the server chassis?  If so it is
> probably SMD disk(s) like the Fujitsu Eagle line.

Yes, the chassis are the same size...  Not fun bringing it up 2 flights
of stairs...  My back is still on strike.

> > Where should I go from here?  How much is my new equipment worth?
>
> I'd install NetBSD on either or both of them,especially if you don't have
> SunOS media.  I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there are so many
> companies throwing this stuff away (my company tossed at least 30-40 Sun
> 3 machines in past 4 weeks) that its not worth much except to people like
> me that run Sun3's at home just for the fun of it.

I do have the tapes for "4.0 DOMESTIC 68020 SUNBIN 1/4'' Tape (boot
format)"  that is tape 2/2 tape 1/2 is tar format.

> A math co upgrade to a 68882 would not buy you anything (except a
> possibly non-functional system).  The 68881 is all that is supported in
> Sun3 arch. machines.  The Sun3x arch may have supported it, but that
> because they use a 68030 instead of a 68020.

I had read the Sun3 Archive page (somewhere in Europe) which details
co-processor upgrading and over-clocking.

Brad Curtis