Subject: Re: Help! tape drive!
To: Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
From: Bill Bradford <mrbill@ionet.net>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/21/1996 22:03:52
At 12:23 PM 2/21/96 -0800, you wrote:
>On Wed, 21 Feb 1996, Bill Bradford wrote:
>> Feb 21 12:17:09 darksun vmunix: st0 error: sense key(0x3): media error, error
>>  code(0x11): hard data error
>> I shut the system down, took the hatbox apart, cleaned the heads.  Put it
back
>> together, booted, tried again.  No luck, same error.
>> Is my 60mb tape drive fried?  Anybody know where I can get another?  I
*really*
>  Probably not.  "media error" means the tape.  Try another tape.
>Tom

I tried three different brand-new tapes, straight out of the shrinkwrap.
Even tried an old
one as well . . all with the exact same results.

If the tape drive head was messed up, wouldn't it report this as a media error?

I cleaned the head with rubbing alcohol though, it's thoroughly clean . . .
<sigh>

bill
Bill Bradford * mrbill@ionet.net
Assistant Systems Administrator