Subject: Help! tape drive!
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bill Bradford <mrbill@ionet.net>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/21/1996 12:30:48
While in the process of making new boot tapes with Gordon's fixes, I started
having the following error . . this is while trying to write a tape with
SunOS 4.1.1, no matter what tape I use (I tried a used one, and three different
brand-new out-of-the-box ones).

Feb 21 12:17:09 darksun vmunix: st0 error: sense key(0x3): media error, error
 code(0x11): hard data error

I shut the system down, took the hatbox apart, cleaned the heads.  Put it back
together, booted, tried again.  No luck, same error.

Is my 60mb tape drive fried?  Anybody know where I can get another?  I *really*
wanna get this machine running NetBSD.  I finally got my 68881 FPU and installed
it yesterday, then my tape drive bites the dust . . . I've got an Archive 150mb
QIC tape drive in a external "Core" enclosure with a 150mb SCSI disk at home
(made for PCs); if nothing else I may try to see if that particular drive will
work (it's an Archive tape drive, I know that much).

help . . . to get THIS close . . and then have a simple TAPE DRIVE fail and
throw me off . . arrrggghhhh!!!!!

Bill Bradford
mrbill@ionet.net