Subject: Re: Help needed identifying 3/50 memory card
To: None <curt@portal.ca>
From: Mark W. Eichin <eichin@kitten.gen.ma.us>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/21/1996 10:36:03
I haven't seen the original message yet (I tend to get mail in reverse
order batches from pain.lcs.mit.edu, where these lists really go.)
However...

> unpopulated memory expansion board for my 3/50.  It seems to be made by a
> company called Parity Systems.  It has eight 30-pin SIMM sockets on it, in
> pairs.  Each pair has "4MB" written to the left of the first SIMM socket.

I've got one of those (thanks again steve!) I'm told it takes 1M
simms, and that you can thus upgrade a 3/50 to 12M with one of
these. (It doesn't replace the onboard soldered-in RAM, it augments
it.) I'm also told that this RAM has lower addresses than the onboard
RAM so that it gets used first by the various unix allocation
mechanisms, and thus you *do* see a benefit from using faster SIMMs in
the card.

Mine has part numbers 01-1018 and 01-1019, if that's the same
board. (I assume Parity Systems isn't around anymore, or I'd have seen
them mentioned here :-)

I'm waiting for the recent RAM price drop to propagate a bit further,
before actually trying it (I need more memory for an SS1+ and a 486 as
well.) (and really, I should get a tape drive... and some more hard
disk... and a new laptop... oh well, back to work :-)

			_Mark_ <eichin@kitten.gen.ma.us>
			The Herd of Kittens