Subject: Re: The "everything coredumps" bug...
To: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
From: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/21/1996 02:50:17
> I have a 3/60 which exhibits this bug where everything using some
> shared-library dumps core.  I've seen it on other machines, but so
> rarely that I could not "home in" on it.  I have greater hopes now!
>
> Can anyone provide clues as to when this bug does or does not bite?

On my 3/75 (with si controller) it basically happened nearly every
time I brought up a NetBSD kernel with the dma stuff enabled, logged
in as myself, and started X windows (thus causing my .xinitrc file to
be executed, which in turn fired up several shell scripts).  The
sequence described was 90% likely to cause the coredumps ; booting
w/o the dma stuff or booting a pre-dma kernel never seemed to
cause the problem.  (though the non-dma kernel was so slow that
I couldn't stand to go though the same coredump-causing sequence
more than two or three times.)

It only seemed to happen with executables that used shared libraries.
--------
Take the pledge! "I do not limit my speech to satisfy the whims of Congress."