Subject: Re: The "everything coredumps" bug...
To: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
From: Christopher Masto <exidor@yiff.stu.rpi.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/21/1996 01:17:04
> I have a 3/60 which exhibits this bug where everything using some
> shared-library dumps core.  I've seen it on other machines, but so
> rarely that I could not "home in" on it.  I have greater hopes now!

Yay!  I'm glad there's interest in fixing this problem now.  Let me
know what I can do to help, and I will try.

> Can anyone provide clues as to when this bug does or does not bite?

Quite a few.. I posted these before, but the topic wasn't well-discussed
at the time.  I have this problem a lot.. probably at least once a week
now.  It's exactly as described.. nothing shared loads.  I tried
ptrace once, but things died before anything showed up.

The interesting thing though, is that I had this problem a lot more
often when my /usr was on an NFS server (linux).  Several times a day,
actually.  It started when I was running 1.0, which had a bug in that
you could remount a directory on top of itself, so [CLUE] I tried
mounting /usr and the problem would go away (but would recur
eventually).  I couldn't do that anymore when 1.1 came out because you
now have to (correctly) unmount the filesystem, and /usr is busy.
Instead, while resorting to senseless acts of frustration, [CLUE] I
typed 'call nfs_init' from ddb, and the problem would go away.  In
this case, however, there were side effects (handles being lost I
guess, and who knows what else) and after doing it a few times, the
system would lock up.. but it got me a day or two of uptime.  Maybe
looking at what gets reset when mounting or nfs_init will help.

Oh.. also [CLUE] it definately happens to me a lot more under heavy
system activity.  I had to reboot a number of times when I compiled
the whole 1.1-current system.

It would be great to get this one fixed.. it's the only thing in NetBSD
keeping me from a 100% stable system.  (Well, except for a if_ie.c
bug that I'll probably post about in a few minutes)