Subject: Re: Help needed identifying 3/50 memory card
To: Mauricio Tavares <raub@kushana.aero.ufl.edu>
From: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/20/1996 20:35:42
On Mon, 19 Feb 1996, Mauricio Tavares wrote:

> 	I know this is not *really* NetBSD, but I received today an
> unpopulated memory expansion board for my 3/50.  It seems to be made by a
> company called Parity Systems.  It has eight 30-pin SIMM sockets on it, in
> pairs.  Each pair has "4MB" written to the left of the first SIMM socket.
>
> Has anyone ever seen such a beast before?  If so, which SIMM sizes can I
> use with it?  Also, while I do not have the SIMMs to use with the board,
> can I simply install is in my 3/50 and leave it there?

This is meagre information, I know, but all I know. :-)

Generally 68000 Sun systems need memory in chunks of 4 MB (32-bit
bus, you know). The 3/60s take only 1 MB parity SIMMs; I would
assume that your board, being of the same vintage and having the
markings it does, is the same.

I'm not familiar with that particular card, but I can relate my
experiences with a Heilos systems expansion board in a Sun 3/50
here. The board does not work unless it's fully loaded with memory.
There are no jumpers on the board, though there is a PAL marked `U
3 - 8 MB' which could have something to do with it. The Sun MMU
and adjacent chip are pulled out of the motherboard and put in that
socket.

cjs

Curt Sampson    curt@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.