Subject: Re: netbsd on sun 3/50
To: None <Brett_Glass@ccgate.infoworld.com>
From: Mark W. Eichin <eichin@kitten.gen.ma.us>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/14/1996 22:55:15
>Since X is so slow on a 3/50, most of us probably won't run it on that
>class of machine....

Either you're used to SGI performance or you haven't tried it :-) The
3/50 makes a very nice X terminal (at least under SunOS, what with the
need for an FPU [which I finally have, thanks Steve] and challenges of
sup, I haven't put things together completely for NetBSD yet.) You
might surprised at the advantage of a direct bitmapped monochrome
frame buffer for doing font-intensive work.

And as for "most of us", there seem to be a fair collection of people
here whose *main* interest in NetBSD is running X11R6 on it, even on
4M systems. (As soon as I get some more disk and a better backup
mechanism, I'm going to have to look at cross-compiling a BSD tree :-)