Subject: Sun 3/60 diskless boot w/ Linux Bootserver
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Matthew Sparby <matthews@scc.net>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/14/1996 13:10:37
I'm in the middle of setting up a Sun 3/60 with NetBSD.  While, admittedly, I am a newbie to NetBSD and Sun3 machines, I have been running Linux on various PC's since the pre 1.0 days.

My NetBSD experience started when I picked up a Sun 3/60 and monitor for dirt-cheap from a friend who had no clue what to do with it.  I didn't know much more about it than he did but I did come across the NetBSD web site and found some answers.  My first task is getting the system to function as a diskless workstation... booting from a Linux box.

Documentation regarding RARP, tftp and bootp for Linux are almost non-existent.  I've been running Linux as an NFS server for close to a year now so that much I was already familiar with.  After shuffling through some cryptic man pages and reading the NetBSD/Sun3 installation instructions I think I have it figured out for the most part.  I still have a few things that could be clearer.

RARP:
The first step was to get the Linux kernel compiled with RARP support.  That was the easiest of all.

Next I had to put a hostname entry for the Sun in the Linux Box's /etc/hosts file.  No problem it's name is now 'fjord'.

Next I had to put an entry in the kernel's RARP table for the Sun's Ethernet Address.  This was a little confusing.  It was easy enough to do it manually with the command:

     rarp -s fjord 8:0:20:0:4A:2E

That worked fine and the Sun found the appropriate IP address when I turned it on.  My question about this is, Is there a way to set a RARP config file so the Linux box has the information when it boots... or do I have to manually put the rarp command in the rc.local file?

TFTP:
Next I have to configure tftp so the Sun can obtain the 'netboot' file, and again I'm a little confused here.  I have a /tftpboot directory now and I have the 'netboot' file in that directory.  I understand that I need to make a symlink to from the netboot file to a filename derived from the Sun's IP address expressed in Hexadecimal (ie CFCFCF17 for 199.199.199.23).

BOOTP:
Assuming it finds the bootfile correctly, the way I understand it, it should then query my Linux box's bootp daemon for instructions on where it's root filesystem will be and from there it will obtain it's kernel and continue booting.  This is where I am really confused.  I need to know what information is REQUIRED in the /etc/bootptab file in order for the Sun to boot.  Also, how do I express the Ethernet Address (8:0:20:0:4A:2E) in hex for the ha= parameter?

mS