Subject: Re: netbsd on sun 3/50
To: None <cfoley@qc.bell.ca>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/14/1996 09:52:11
> Date: Tue, 13 Feb 96 16:25:11 EST
> From: cfoley@qc.bell.ca (Claude Foley)

> NetBSD 1.1 is now running on my Sun 3/50, but I found that it was a lot
> slower than Sun os. Does somebody can tell me if the performance will
> get better in the future.

You should run the latest kernel from here:
	ftp ftp.netbsd.org
	cd /pub/NetBSD/arch/sun3/install-11-p2
	binary
	get netbsd-gen.gz

The original from 1.1 did not have SCSI DMA enabled
(and it didn't work quite right on the 3/50).

Otherwise, buy more memory.  NetBSD does poorly in 4MB.

> The caps lock does not work on my keyboard, is it a bug or my keyboard
> or some configuration.

That is by design.  If you run X then it works fine, of course.
The keyboard driver is almost ready to support capslock, but I
didn't bother to implement it (most people run X anyway).

Gordon