Subject: Re: netbsd on sun 3/50
To: Claude Foley <cfoley@qc.bell.ca>
From: J.T. Conklin <jtc@cygnus.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/13/1996 21:21:34
>>>>> "Claude" == Claude Foley <cfoley@qc.bell.ca> writes:
Claude> NetBSD 1.1 is now running on my Sun 3/50, but I found that it was a lot
Claude> slower than Sun os. Does somebody can tell me if the performance will
Claude> get better in the future.

The SCSI driver in NetBSD 1.1 does not have DMA turned on, which would
make it slower than SunOS.  I don't know if simply enabling DMA will
work on your 3/50.  Recent traffic on this list indicates that there
may be some hardware quirks that need to be worked around.

Also, I think that NetBSD has a bit larger memory footprint than
SunOS, which could effect it's performance on 4MB machines.  I run a
3/60 with 24MB as my primary workstation, and it seems faster than
SunOS to me.  In fact, someone once mentioned that it's faster than
his 32MB ELC.

	--jtc