Subject: Re: netbsd on sun 3/50
To: Claude Foley <cfoley@qc.bell.ca>
From: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/13/1996 20:56:24
On Tue, 13 Feb 1996, Claude Foley wrote:

> NetBSD 1.1 is now running on my Sun 3/50, but I found that it was a lot
> slower than Sun os. Does somebody can tell me if the performance will
> get better in the future.

It's probably disk performance. The default kernel gets 20-30K/second
on my shoebox. This is fixed by setting si_options to 3 in the
kernel, but don't do this on a 3/50 in the distributed 1.1 kernel,
as that will trash your disk. GWR has made a new kernel available
that may fix this; if you want to test it you can get it from any
ftp site that mirrors NetBSD; it's in /NetBSD/sun3.

cjs

Curt Sampson    curt@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.