Subject: Re: ufsboot (PR#1726)
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/12/1996 15:28:09
>> exec: short read
>> boot: netbsd: Input/output error
>> boot:

> There is a bug in ufsboot that causes all subsequent attempts to
> "exec" a kernel to fail trying to open the file.  The logic that
> opens the underlying SCSI device only works the first time.  So, if
> the first attempt to load the kernel fails, you have to quit the boot
> program (L1-A or BREAK) and do the 'b sd() ...' again.

> There is already a PR for this:
> port-sun3/1726: [dM] (sun3) ufsboot gives no second chances

Um, close, but not quite.  If the kernel load fails with the "short
read" error, you can type the kernel name at the boot: prompt and it
will try again just fine.  The problem described in my PR is that if
you mistype the name (eg, "nebtsd", which seems to be one of my
fingers' favorite mistakes for "netbsd"), _then_ even if you get it
right ufsboot won't load it.

I don't know what happens with other errors; those are the only two
errors I have had occasion to find out what happens with.

At least that's what I see with my -3/110; YMMV.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu