Subject: Re: ufsboot
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/12/1996 14:48:08
> periodicaly, (in fact the majority of the time)

> when i boot up my 3/60, i first get the NetBSD ufsboot [$Revision 1.2 $]

> then then kernel numbers come up, and while it is spinning through the
> first one, it stops with

> exec: short read
> boot: netbsd: Input/output error
> boot:

I get just this problem (though with a message from the PROM disk
driver about "status msg = FFFFFFFF" before the above) on my -3/110.

> after some incantations, and random combinations of restarting the
> machine and restarting the drive, it comes up...

AFAICT it is pure chance whether any particular attempt will work.
I've been meaning for a while now to put retries into ufsboot, so that
it will retry each read something like four times before giving up,
thus reducing the impact of this particular problem.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu