Subject: Re: ufsboot (PR#1726)
To: None <ccallana@vision.elee.calpoly.edu>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/12/1996 11:12:45
> Date: Sun, 11 Feb 1996 19:29:51 -0800
> From: Chris Callanan <ccallana@vision.elee.calpoly.edu>

> periodicaly, (in fact the majority of the time)
>
> when i boot up my 3/60, i first get the NetBSD ufsboot [$Revision 1.2 $]
>
> then then kernel numbers come up, and while it is spinning through the
> first one, it stops with
>
> exec: short read
> boot: netbsd: Input/output error
> boot:
>
> so i try to enter the kernel name again, and it does the samething...
> try changing kernels, same thing.

There is a bug in ufsboot that causes all subsequent attempts to
"exec" a kernel to fail trying to open the file.  The logic that
opens the underlying SCSI device only works the first time.  So,
if the first attempt to load the kernel fails, you have to quit
the boot program (L1-A or BREAK) and do the 'b sd() ...' again.

There is already a PR for this:
port-sun3/1726: [dM] (sun3) ufsboot gives no second chances

Gordon