Subject: Re: Sun3/50 netboot progress!
To: None <jmc@pobox.com>
From: Trent <trent@rmci.net>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/31/1996 09:57:39
On Tue, 30 Jan 1996, James Michael Chacon wrote:

> >I scrounged up a Sun3/50 with PROM revision 2.6 and have finally been
> >able to reproduce the hang described above.  (I had an old 3/50 that
> >Adam sent me, but had to displace something to make room for it...)>

> Ok, I've got a 2.3 rom on my sun 3/50M. Booted just fine! Cool, now I
> have no native sun stuff running this machine.
> [....]
> I boot a completely diskless machine serving off my 486/33 sitting 3 inches
> above the sun3 on my desk. The problems I'm seeing is I go to boot and
> it works about 50% of the time. The other 50% it randomly core dumps
> something in the boot process with illegal instruction calls and then
> once that starts most any other program starts core dumping as well.
> Any ideas? The machine will pass the complete diags from the prom.
>
> James

Well, I don't know if I have any idea why it's doing it but I can report
the same problem w/ my machine.  I've got a 3/50 with the 2.3 prom and a
486/33 running linux.  Sometimes it would hang at getty, and core was
dumping all over the place.  I did took some stuff out of the rc files
and this helped a little bit but still couldn't have the machine up for
more than a day or so.....

P.S. After I got a scsi drive for my machine and put everything on that,
everything worked great, no core dumps or anything, just a slow scsi (for
now).

Trent
trent@rmci.net