Subject: Re: X peculiarities
To: None <gwr@mc.com>
From: Perry Hutchison <perryh@pluto.rain.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/30/1996 00:47:03
> >   2. constype returns cg4 even though I have a Sun 3/50 with a bwtwo0
> >      frame buffer.
>
> That is a limitation (bug?) in the probe routines for the various
> graphics adapters ... when more than one "probes present" in your
> machine, it havs to guess.  In this case it guessed wrong.

I thought it was not possible for a 3/50 to have a cg4.  What is the
cg4 probe seeing, that its hardware appears to be present?

When there really are multiple frame buffers (e.g. both bw2 and cg4
on a 3/60) it would seem reasonable to look at the EEPROM to find out
which one is being used as the console.  This "should" cause constype
to agree with the ROM monitor as to where the console is.