Subject: Re: X peculiarities
To: None <Ian.Dall@dsto.defence.gov.au>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/29/1996 13:56:17
> Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 14:06:37 +1030
> From: Ian Dall <dall@hfrd.dsto.gov.au>

> This may not be strictly a port-sun3 matter, but I don't know anywhere
> more appropriate.
>
> I am using X11R6 as distributed on ftp.netbsd.org on a 3/50 with 12MB
> of memory. I am using the XsunMono server.
>
>   1. xconsole only works as root. If I chown <user> /dev/console, then
>      xconsole still doesn't work. I seem to recall that with SunOS and
>      XR5, I could set xdm up so GiveConsole and TakeConsole would
>      chown /dev/console and all would be well. Making xconsole suid
>      root would probably be a bad idea...

There are a few things required for this to work:

a: xconsole runs as you (not root) and wants to use TIOCCONS, so
   you need to compile a kernel with "options UCONSOLE" (which
   affects sys/kern/tty.c)

b: xconsole makes sure it can open /dev/console for read/write
   so xdm must chown that (along with /dev/kbd, dev/mouse)

>   2. constype returns cg4 even though I have a Sun 3/50 with a bwtwo0
>      frame buffer.

That is a limitation (bug?) in the probe routines for the various
graphics adapters.  I'm not aware of any way to find out if there
is actually a display attached to any of them, so when more than
one "probes present" in your machine, it havs to guess.  In this
case it guessed wrong.

As a work-around, you could configure a kernel with the line for the
cg4 driver commented out (along with any others you don't want).

>   3. The server has keyclicks on. Well, xset -q shows them to be off,
>      but clicks happen! Starting X with c 0 doesn't help, nor does
>      xset c 0. However, if I do xset c 100; xset c 0, I succeed in turning
>      them off!

That one would take some investigation.  I'd put some printf calls in
the kbd driver to see what commands are coming down.  I suspect the
Xserver might be sending a reset, which turns on key click...

Gordon