Subject: X peculiarities
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ian Dall <dall@hfrd.dsto.gov.au>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/29/1996 14:06:37
This may not be strictly a port-sun3 matter, but I don't know anywhere
more appropriate.

I am using X11R6 as distributed on ftp.netbsd.org on a 3/50 with 12MB
of memory. I am using the XsunMono server.

  1. xconsole only works as root. If I chown <user> /dev/console, then
     xconsole still doesn't work. I seem to recall that with SunOS and
     XR5, I could set xdm up so GiveConsole and TakeConsole would
     chown /dev/console and all would be well. Making xconsole suid
     root would probably be a bad idea...

  2. constype returns cg4 even though I have a Sun 3/50 with a bwtwo0
     frame buffer.

  3. The server has keyclicks on. Well, xset -q shows them to be off,
     but clicks happen! Starting X with c 0 doesn't help, nor does
     xset c 0. However, if I do xset c 100; xset c 0, I succeed in turning
     them off!

I guess these are all relatively minor. The 1st one is the most annoying.
I guess I can write a suid wrapper to xconsole.

Ian