Subject: Sun3/60 NFS booting problems.
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christian Nygaard <cnygaard@adept.se>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/25/1996 23:38:28
Hi! I=92ve recently tried to install FreeBSD on my Sun3/60 over NFS.
I know it should work, since I got it booting with the X-kernel
package for Linux, which is a small portion of SunOS 4.1.1
to get X-windows loaded.

However I felt that I needed a whole operating system, since a lot
of system files where missing and went I for FreeBSD-1.1 instead.=20
The bootprom in the Sun is version 1.6, so I installed the latest patch
that should make BSD working with that PROM.=20

I=92ve gotten so far that the NETBOOT program loads, but then the
machine hangs when initializing bootparamd protocol, its just standing=20
there showing its network address in HEX and requesting a address.=20
Should I use BOOTPD or the BOOTPARAMD protocol? I=92ve installed both. There=
=20
is separate configuration files, and as I understand they are different=20
protocols? I couldn=92t get the TFTPboot program to load using the=20
/tftpboot path, I had to use the special recompiled version of TFTP that=20
comes with X-kernel and sends out /usr/export/tftpboot as the first=20
characters all the time. I=B4ve read through the install.txt, and found
a textfile on the internet regarding NFS installation, is there additional
information on this installation type?

Here is my system files, if anyone sees any configuration mistakes
please help me out.

=20
--------------
/etc/hosts                      On Server machine, Linux 1.2.1             =
=20

# For loopbacking.
127.0.0.1	        localhost
192.55.178.33	 	styx.hsi.net styx primaryxdmhost server loghost fontserver
192.55.178.34		client xhost=09
# End of hosts.

/etc/bootparamd, bootptab       On Server

#=20
client  root=3Dserver:/export/client/root \
        swap=3Dserver:/export/client/swap
# End.

/export/client/root             On Server

altroot/   dev/       home/      netbsd-rd  sbin/      tmp/       var/
bin/       etc/       mnt/       root/      stand/     usr/       vmunix

(There is a link, linking netbsd-rd -> vmunix

Grateful for any help!

//Christian Nygaard     (cnygaard@adept.se)