Subject: My 3/110 woes
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Shawn Brown <shawnb@netcom.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/23/1996 18:03:40
Hi,

I'm new to NetBSD/sun3, so please excuse my newbie-ness.

I recently bought a 3/110 so I could run NetBSD 1.1.  I haven't bought
a scsi card for it yet, so I am running it diskless off of my sparc 1.

I am having lots of stability problems with it.  It boots up clean perhaps
1 out of 3 or 4 times, and rarely stays up for more than an hour or two.
I get different messages, sometimes I get MMU errors, sometimes (like in
the console output below) I get fpu_emulate errors.  Most often the system
doesn't panic, just everything I try and run either dumps core or complains
of illegal instructions.

Strangely I've had more suceess with the earlier netboot than the update
in NetBSD/arch/sun3.  Using that netboot, I can rarely boot up at all.

Here's a typical console message:

checking for core dump...
Jan 23 17:39:30 shithead /netbsd: keyboard reset failed
savecore: no core dump (no dumpdev)
checking quotas: done.
building databases...
clearing /tmp
standard daemons: update cron.
starting network daemons: routed printer sendmail inetdfpu_emulate: bad coproc.
id: opcode=0xfde9
fpu_emulate: bad coproc. id: opcode=0xfe1c
Illegal instruction - core dumped
fpu_emulate: bad coproc. id: opcode=0xfe02
.
fpu_emulate: bad coproc. id: opcode=0xfe18
fpu_emulate: bad coproc. id: opcode=0xfe08
Illegal instruction - core dumped
Illegal instruction - core dumped
fpu_emulate: bad coproc. id: opcode=0xfe14
Illegal instruction - core dumped
fpu_emulate: bad coproc. id: opcode=0xfe04
Illegal instruction - core dumped
creating runtime link editor directory cache.
starting local daemons:.
Tue Jan 23 17:40:43 PST 1996
fpu_emulate: bad coproc. id: opcode=0xfe35
fpu_emulate: bad coproc. id: opcode=0xfe39
fpu_emulate: bad coproc. id: opcode=0xfe35
fpu_emulate: bad coproc. id: opcode=0xfe39
Jan 23 17:40:45 shithead init: kernel security level changed from 0 to 1
Jan 23 17:40:53 shithead init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttya, sl
eeping
Jan 23 17:40:55 shithead init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/kd, slee
ping
~Stopped at      _Debugger+0x6:  unlk    a6
db>

It didn't actually halt here, I sent it a break.

Getty is the most common thing to crash on me.  Often it is the only thing
that will crash.

The no dumpdev line there is also puzzling to me.  I have it set to
dump to a partition on the server in bootparams.

Have I got some bad hardware here or is this just NetBSD?  I am planning
to boot it with 4.1.1_U1 so I can tell.

Again, the machine is a 3/110 with 4 megs of memory and version 2.7 of the
boot prom.  I am running the console from ttya.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Shawn

--