Subject: Re: There and back again: rebuilding the bloody kernel
To: None <gwr@mc.com>
From: Mauricio Tavares <raub@kushana.aero.ufl.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/22/1996 16:14:15
While shopping for shruberries, Gordon W. Ross pondered:

> > From: raub@kushana.aero.ufl.edu (Mauricio Tavares)
> > Date: Sat, 20 Jan 1996 13:29:58 -0500 (EST)
>
> > 	Early this week I tried to rebuild the kernel.  After 1 day and 6
> > hours, it was compiled.  I tried to rbeoot using it.  What happened?
> > Murphy's law in action:  it crashed and I had to reinstall netbsd.  So,
> > here is attempt number 2.  Let's hope it will work this time.
> >
> > Since we are at it, are the following numbers ok?

> > ld -S -n -N -e start -T 0E004000 -o netbsd ${SYSTEM_OBJ} vers.o
> > lib/kern/libkern.o lib/compat/libcompat.a
> > text    data    bss     dec     hex
> > 619408  29700   95780   744888  b5db8
>
> Those look fine.  Here is what I'm running:
> % uname -a
> NetBSD venus 1.1 NetBSD 1.1 (GENERIC) #24: Thu Dec 14 13:52:07 EST 1995
> gwr@venus:/home/gwr/work/src/sys/arch/sun3/compile/GENERIC sun3
> % size /netbsd
> text    data    bss     dec     hex
> 632060  29996   95784   757840  b9050

	Still, it crashes the system.  As you remember, I installed
netbsd in 2 drives.  I rebuild the kernel in the IBM 1GB drive and then
uploaded a copy to the DEC (I'm using it to store some of my junk while I
am fighting with the Sun).  I tried to use the new kernel in the 1GB
drive.  It crashed.  So I swapped drives, booted using the CDC 150MB
drive, downloaded the new kernel, installed it, and rebooted.  It crashed
again.

	Would you like a copy of my crashing netboot?  I still have it? =)

--

| Mauricio Tavares          | "We will attack...                          |