Subject: Need help with 3/260 and 16Mb memory board
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <kpneal@eos.ncsu.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/17/1996 22:22:56
Ok, I just got a 16Mb memory card for my 3/260. Now, I already
have an 8Mb card in there that works.

I put the 16 in slot 2, and jumpered it to board 1. I cut the
machine on, and the machine doesn't recognize the board.

I made sure the termination was in, and the backplace is jumpered
correctly.

The machine still didn't recognize the board. I tried various
combinations of termination packs, and slots, and other wild
things, and could not get the board to be recognized.

Then I took the (working) 8mb board out and put the 16mb board
in slot 6. Then I cut the machine on.

The board was not recognized at all (aside from the dis light
coming on and then going off). The ref light comes on, the
cpu light doesn't come on, and the dis light goes off after
the machine (in diagnostics mode) goes through the memory tests
once.

The machine loops through the memory tests. It never says that
they have failed, but they have never gotten past the memory
tests.

The board was tested (and passed) before it was mailed to me.

Now, this machine has a 2.1 or 2.2 boot prom in it. Could that
be the problem? Could it be that the boot prom was made before
the sun4 line came out, and the associated memory boards?

Now, I do have a copy of the sun 3.0 boot prom. What kind
(give part numbers) of eeprom do I need to burn to put in
place of the existing prom? Where exactly is my prom on
my board?

Thanks guys, it will be nice to 1) get this machine running with
2) 24mb of ram.

XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Sophomore CSC/CPE     kpneal@eos.ncsu.edu
XCOMM North Carolina State University      kevinneal@bix.com