Subject: Re: Sun compatability...
To: None <seebs@solon.com>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/15/1996 11:33:21
> Date: Sat, 13 Jan 1996 00:40:35 -0600
> From: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>

> Can anyone tell me where I look for sun compatability lists?  In particular,
> I seem to recall hearing that the 3x (3/80?) can't run netbsd - I'd love to
> know why, or how hard it is to fix, or whether it's simply not true.  I
> might have the time to hack on a driver or whatever.  I just acquired several
> 3/80's with various problems, and would love to get them running.
>
> (I might also be willing to sell spare parts, possibly including hires
> or lowres frame buffers, if anyone wants some.)
>
> -s

The main challenge is that the 3x (Sun3/80) has a completely different
MMU from the rest of the Sun3 line (the 3x uses the Motorola MMU).
We should be able to borrow pmap code from the hp300, at least,
but the machine is otherwise not terribly similar to a sun3.

If I had one of those (Sun3/80) I might be inclined to try making
NetBSD work on it.  So far, I've been too cheap to buy one...

Gordon