Subject: Re: DMA
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/14/1996 21:03:28
>>> [...] 3/50 [...].  Would enabling the DMA "mode" speed up this
>>> drive so that I will be able to load X in my lifetime?
>> Probably.  I certainly find it makes an immense difference.
> Talking about that, what each value for si_options mean and which one
> should I use?

si_options is a bitmask.  Taken directly from
/sys/arch/sun3/dev/ncr_si.c (as of last December 11th, at least),
here's what the bits are:

#define SI_ENABLE_DMA   1       /* Use DMA (maybe polled) */
#define SI_DMA_INTR     2       /* DMA completion interrupts */
#define SI_DO_RESELECT  4       /* Allow disconnect/reselect */

Personally, I use 3 (enable DMA with interrupts, but don't do
disconnects).

>> If you want to rebuild a GENERIC sun3 kernel, for example, it'd be
>> something like this: [...]
> Should I do that in single user mode, as I used to do when modifying
> the kernel of that bloody Ultrix box, or can I create the kernel in
> multiuser mode?

No, no, no reason at all to go single-user.  The only thing you even
need root privilege for is installing the new kernel, assuming you can
write to the /usr/src/sys tree, or have made a copy somewhere else.
(You can copy the tree under /usr/src/sys elsewhere and build a kernel
in the new tree just fine; I do so regularly.)

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu