Subject: Re: DMA
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/14/1996 20:52:37
> I finally did get 1.1 installed on my 3/50 shoebox (it turns out that
> it really doesn't like having sd0b before sd0a on the disk, for some
> reason--I'd hoped to have my swap space at the beginning of the disk
> to minimise head movement)

I think I know what happened here: swapping uses _all_ of the swap
partition, whereas an FFS filesystem does not use the first 8K of its
partition, reserving it for boot space on root filesystems and
everywhere else for consistency.

So when you put swap at offset 0, you ended up swapping all over your
disk label (and possibly boot blocks, depending).

Try putting swap at the smallest offset you can (above 8K, that is),
which since this is a boot pack and therefore uses a SunOS disk label
means one cylinder.  (Or at least one cylinder according to the
geometry information in the label, which in my experience does not have
to match the actual geometry of the disk.)

> De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.

"Of taste, either well or not at all" - are you trying to say taste is
dead, or something?

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu