Subject: Re: DMA
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/14/1996 07:31:21
> So I now have a 1GB SCSI2 drive attached to the 3/50 [...].
> Currently, it takes quite a lot of time to access the drive; [...].
> Would enabling the DMA "mode" speed up this drive so that I will be
> able to load X in my lifetime?

Probably.  I certainly find it makes an immense difference.

> In an unrelated topic, how do you rebuild the kernel in NetBSD?  In
> ultrix we had this /usr/sys directory where the kernel config file
> would be hidden.  Would NetBSD have something similar?

/usr/src/sys.  Normally /sys is a symlink to it.

If you want to rebuild a GENERIC sun3 kernel, for example, it'd be
something like this:

# cd /sys/arch/sun3/conf
# config GENERIC
# cd ../compile/GENERIC
# make depend && make

At this point, assuming everything worked, you'll find it's built a
"netbsd", which is your new kernel.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu