Subject: Re: disks
To: None <gwr@mc.com>
From: Chris Callanan <ccallana@vision.elee.calpoly.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/10/1996 22:43:06
User Gordon W. Ross, was known to have said:

> > i have a sun3 shoebox with 2 ESDI disks..  a Hitachi and a Maxtor 700+
> > meg (both about the same capacity)
> >
> > i took the box to school where we have a sun4 (ipx) and plugged them
> > in.  the kernel never recogized them...  but, when i went to the
> > prom, and did probe-scsi, the emulex showed up as Target 4, unit 1 and
> > unit 2.  it couldnt recognize what type of disks, but it at least knew
> > it was there...
>
> Yes, the standard (GENERIC) kernel on your IPX is probably configured
> to recognize only SCSI targets with LUN=0 i.e.:
>
> scsibus0 at esp				# declare first scsi bus
> disk sd0 at scsibus0 target 3 lun 0	# first hard SCSI disk
> disk sd1 at scsibus0 target 1 lun 0	# second hard SCSI disk
> disk sd2 at scsibus0 target 2 lun 0	# third hard SCSI disk
> disk sd3 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0	# fourth hard SCSI disk
>
> You should build a new SunOS kernel with something like the
> following added to the config file.  (Copy GENERIC to CALLANAN
> and add these lines to the scsibus0 section)
>
> disk sd8 at scsibus0 target 4 lun 0	# my old shoebox
> disk sd9 at scsibus0 target 4 lun 1	# my old shoebox

ok... i did this... and the kernel recognizes the drives just fine..
doesnt know what type they are or what size, but it knows they are
out there...

but 'format' doesnt know they are there...  if i just type 'format'
it completely hangs...   without the drives plugged in it comes
right back with sd0 as available...

if i try and give it the command 'format -d /dev/rsd4c -t "Maxtor 8760S"
it just hangs again...

if i say 'format /dev/rsd4c'

it says no disks...

i'm confuzed

--
  Chris Callanan - CpE major       ccallana@gauss.elee.calpoly.edu
              http://www.elee.calpoly.edu/~ccallana

  "She was so absolutely digital, To jack in now was wrong" InSoc