Subject: Re: I am booting from the disk, but...
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/09/1996 13:50:40
On Tue, 9 Jan 1996, der Mouse wrote:

> I'm vaguely surprised nobody has yet slapped disk makers with a
> misleading-advertising suit over this.  Probably nobody's thought it
> worthwhile.

Well, the SI standard specifies that the `mega' prefix means `a
million.' It's computing convention to round this upward to the
nearest power of two, but certainly not law.

If you're asking the prices on large quantities of drives, I bet
they give it to you in $1024 `kilobucks' or $1,048,576 `megabucks.' :-)

cjs

Curt Sampson    curt@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.