Subject: Re: One more disk question
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/09/1996 17:21:39
In article <199601091452.LAA17530@vortex.leg.ufrj.br>,
Paulo Alexandre Pinto Pires  <pappires@vortex.leg.ufrj.br> wrote:
> After having had an enormous number of problems with the disk, some
> people told me that a Sun3 most probably would never be able to
> recognize a 2Gb disk, as it is too big for its interface to handle.
>
> Is this statement true?

No. It's not a hardware limitation. SunOS has a 1G limit, and the PROM
probably does, but the former is irrelevant to running NetBSD
(obviously), and the latter would only be an issue if you wanted to boot
a partition past the 1G mark or something. Since you can't boot other
than the a (or b, with miniroot) partition, and since those come first,
unless you had HUGE root and/or swap partitions it shouldn't be a problem.
You should be able to use a 9G (or even larger) disk on NetBSD/sun3, if you
ever wanted to.