Subject: Re: disks
To: None <ccallana@vision.elee.calpoly.edu>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/09/1996 13:34:09
> Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 18:52:23 -0800
> From: Chris Callanan <ccallana@vision.elee.calpoly.edu>

> i have a question, and this is not strictly netbsd related, but
> i though you guys might know...
>
> i have a sun3 shoebox with 2 ESDI disks..  a Hitachi and a Maxtor 700+
> meg (both about the same capacity)
>
> i need to get them formatted so i can install netbsd on them for my
> sun3...  i am netbooting right now...
>
> i took the box to school where we have a sun4 (ipx) and plugged them
> in.  the kernel never recogized them...  but, when i went to the
> prom, and did probe-scsi, the emulex showed up as Target 4, unit 1 and
> unit 2.  it couldnt recognize what type of disks, but it at least knew
> it was there...
>
> i checked the kernel config, and it looks like it should be configured
> for up to 8 scsi devices.  the existing 207meg drive is at Target 3.
>
> can you guys think of any reason why sunos would not recognize the
> drives??
>
> thanx
>
> --chris

Yes, the standard (GENERIC) kernel on your IPX is probably configured
to recognize only SCSI targets with LUN=0 i.e.:

scsibus0 at esp				# declare first scsi bus
disk sd0 at scsibus0 target 3 lun 0	# first hard SCSI disk
disk sd1 at scsibus0 target 1 lun 0	# second hard SCSI disk
disk sd2 at scsibus0 target 2 lun 0	# third hard SCSI disk
disk sd3 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0	# fourth hard SCSI disk

You should build a new SunOS kernel with something like the
following added to the config file.  (Copy GENERIC to CALLANAN
and add these lines to the scsibus0 section)

disk sd8 at scsibus0 target 4 lun 0	# my old shoebox
disk sd9 at scsibus0 target 4 lun 1	# my old shoebox

Gordon