Subject: Re: I am booting from the disk, but...
To: Paulo Alexandre Pinto Pires <pappires@vortex.leg.ufrj.br>
From: Mauricio Tavares <raub@kushana.aero.ufl.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/09/1996 10:38:50
While shopping for shruberries, Paulo Alexandre Pinto Pires pondered:

[...]
> ncr5380_command: short transfer: wanted 10 got 6.
> si(0,0,0)-28,0,0,2b,9c,9d,0,0,1,0-
> sd0(si0:0:0): medium error, info = 2858166 (decimal), data = 00 00 00 00 11 00
> 00 20 00 0d

	I've got a similar error yesterday when I was finally getting
NetBSD to work with my Sun 3/50.  It turned out to be a disagreement
between what the docs I had on the drive said and what NetBSD think the
drive was.

I was using a CDC 94161-155 FH drive -- I am still waiting for my 1GB
beast.  Hopefully it will be here tomorrow -- as sd0.  The documentation
for the drive, found in Seagate's ftp site, claims the drive has 155MB
formatted capacity.  I set the drive parameters using edlabel according
to that.  No problem.  I copied moniroot to /dev/rsd0b.  Still no
problem.  I rebooted to run miniroot.  No problem.  Then I ran the
install program.  When it was mounting the partitions, it barked.  I
decided to run newfs in /dev/rsd0a (my root).  It worked fine.  Then, I
tried it in /dev/rsd0f (/usr), it barked saying that notorious "wanted 10
got 6" message.

As I kept trying different partitions to find out what was going on, I
eventually began paying attention to the boot messages.  One of those
claimed the drive to be 148MB instead of 155.  So, just for the fun of
it, I repartitioned it using that value.  Guess what?  It worked!

Moral of the story:  the 3/50 seems to know about hard drives better than
their manufacturers.  Go figure. :P

	Perhaps you may have the vary same problem I did.  I think it
worth a try; what do you have to lose?

--

| Mauricio Tavares          | "We will attack...                          |