Subject: Re: disks
To: None <ccallana@vision.elee.calpoly.edu>
From: Perry Hutchison <perryh@pluto.rain.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/08/1996 23:44:52
> i have a sun3 shoebox with 2 ESDI disks...
>
> i took the box to school where we have a sun4 (ipx) and plugged them
> in.  the kernel never recogized them...  but, when i went to the
> prom, and did probe-scsi, the emulex showed up as Target 4, unit 1 and
> unit 2.  it couldnt recognize what type of disks, but it at least knew
> it was there...
>
> i checked the kernel config, and it looks like it should be configured
> for up to 8 scsi devices.  the existing 207meg drive is at Target 3.
>
> can you guys think of any reason why sunos would not recognize the
> drives??

The GENERIC kernel for sun4c architecture is only set up for disks on
targets 0-3, unit 0 (which is the only unit supported by embedded SCSI
drives).  Set the Emulex for target 0, 1, or 2, and the drives to units
0 and 1, and the IPX kernel should see the drive on unit 0.  After
finishing with that one, exchange the unit settings to set up the other
drive.