Subject: Re: netboots until...
To: Diyamanthi Dahanayake <dahanaya@chaph.usc.edu>
From: Matthew N. Dodd <winter@jurai.net>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/08/1996 17:50:25
On Sun, 7 Jan 1996, Diyamanthi Dahanayake wrote:
> > On Sun, 7 Jan 1996 22:22:51 -0800 (PST)
> >  Diyamanthi Dahanayake <dahanaya@chaph.usc.edu> wrote:
> >  >   panic: nfs_boot: mountd swap, error = 72  /* XXX */
> > EBADRPC ... junk packet, maybe.  Perhaps buggy rpc.bootparamd...which
> > bootparamd is this?
> Little of context here, the server is a FreeBSD 2.1 Box, and the diskless sun 3/60
> is to use NetBSD/sun3 port. Should I get the NetBSD bootparamd working under
> this (FreeBSD)? I haven't got the source, but can see what's going on.

FreeBSD's mountd doesn't like exporting files.  I had to fix that
to get my ss2 booting diskless.  Look thourgh the mountd source for
Net and Free and change the line of code...  Um... hold on..

                /*
                 * Get the real pathname and make sure it is a directory
                 * that exists.
                 */
                if (realpath(rpcpath, dirpath) == 0 ||
                    stat(dirpath, &stb) < 0 ||
/*                  (stb.st_mode & S_IFMT) != S_IFDIR || */
                    (!S_ISDIR(stb.st_mode) && !S_ISREG(stb.st_mode)) ||
                    statfs(dirpath, &fsb) < 0) {

Ok, thats the offending line of codei (370 in mountd.c), commented out.
I'm sorry this isn't a proper diff, but allwell.

Anyhow, I just ripped this from the NetBSD sources and it worked fine.

I got a new drive for the machine and am no longer using the nfs swap.

| Matthew N. Dodd   | winter@jurai.net    | http://www.jurai.net/~winter    |
| Technical Manager | mdodd@intersurf.net | http://www.intersurf.net        |
| InterSurf Online  | "Welcome to the net Sir, would you like a handbasket?"|