Subject: Re: I am booting from the disk, but...
To: Paulo Alexandre Pinto Pires <pappires@vortex.leg.ufrj.br>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/08/1996 10:48:42
On Mon, 8 Jan 1996 15:03:34 -0300 (WDT)
 Paulo Alexandre Pinto Pires <pappires@vortex.leg.ufrj.br> wrote:

 > I guess that' very likely to be happening.  The work-around proposed of
 > downloading a new patched kernel unfortunatelly did not work to me.

Actually, the work-around I checked into the MI SCSI code (which I
believe Gordon was referring to) ensures that the SCSI disk driver (and
CD-ROM driver) will use a 6-byte cdb when the transfer can fit.  On
ancient devices, like Emulex ESDI bridges, the transfer is always limited
to one that will fit inside a 6-byte cdb.

Anyhow, this problem eliminated 90% of the "wanted 10 got 6" messages on
my 3/60.  I still get them occasionally, but haven't had the chance to
track them down (I get them using the new 5380 driver under NetBSD/sparc,
too.  They are _extremely_ rare there, and the disk is a modern SCSI-II
disk.)  Perhaps that message should include the opcode from the cdb ..
does it already?

Anyhow, it's possible there's another problem with your disk, or another
case where we need to use a different cdb format.