Subject: Re: netboots until...
To: None <dahanaya@chaph.usc.edu>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/08/1996 11:54:10
> Date: Sun, 7 Jan 1996 22:22:51 -0800 (PST)
> From: Diyamanthi Dahanayake <dahanaya@chaph.usc.edu>
> Cc: gwr
>
> Hi All,
>
>   the sun 3/60 boots until,
>
>   model: Sun 3/60
>   real mem = 8372224
>   avail mem = 6799360
>   using 63 buffers containing 516096 bytes of memory
>   .
>   .
>   .
>   root on le0
>   swap on le0
>   dump on le0
>   nfs_boot: using network interface `le0`
>   nfs_boot: client_addr = 0xc0980002
>   nfs_boot: server_addr = 0xc0980001
>   nfs_boot: hostname  = client
>   panic: nfs_boot: mountd swap, error = 72  /* XXX */
>   stopped at _Debugger+0x6  unlk  a6
>   db>
>
>   and, on typing
>   db>continue
>   it reboots....

>   Any clues please?

The bootparam phase all went fine, but the mountd call to get
the the "swap" file handle failed.

Your server is FreeBSD, right?  I think the FreeBSD mountd fails
mount requests for plain files (as opposed to directories), and
that represents an incompatibility with Sun-style diskless boot.

Does anyone have the diffs to fix the FreeBSD mountd?
If so, have they been submitted to the FreeBSD team?

Gordon