Subject: Disk install question.
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Black Ice <STEVE@argonaut.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/07/1996 19:22:37
OK, having had a diskless 3/60 up and running for some time, I finally got
round to hooking up a 420Meg scsi disk to my 3/something (case says 3/140,
PROM says 3/75 or 3/160).  It finds it OK, doesn't boot off it because
there's nothing on it, so I boot from the network using the same 1.0 stuff
I booted the other machine from, fine... except I can't do anything with
the disk - it just says 'Device not configured' or 'File not found',
depending on how its feeling.  I look at the latest install docs since its
been a while since I set up the last installation and decide to grab the
netbsd-rd and miniroot and see what they do.
Ramdisk kernel boots fine, no problems... except 'edlabel' still won't work -
it still just dies off with 'Device not configured'.
I'm interpreting this as the result of not having a label on the disk to
edit; the disk in question has never had any form of SunOS/NetBSD or any
other similar system on it, and therefore has no BSD compatible disklabel.
(In fact, the last thing the disk had on it was a single Amiga filesystem
when I had the drive hooked up to an Amiga to test it actually worked)

The simple question is, how do I treat the disk as completely new, never been
used, no sign of a disk label? Under Sunos, format (I think) would create a
new label, but the edlabel command won't do that...
Do I need to hook it up to a Sun running Sunos and format it on that, then
bring it back to my Sun3 and edit the label accordingly?

If anyone can shed any light on this, I'll be extremely grateful!
Also, if anyone knows the geometry and all the other things needed to format
a Micropolis 2105 disk..... ;)

Cheers in advance.
Steve.
--
"Five is a sufficiently close approximation to infinity."