Subject: Re: Tape loading problems
To: Mauricio Tavares <raub@kushana.aero.ufl.edu>
From: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/04/1996 11:38:33
On Thu, 4 Jan 1996, Mauricio Tavares wrote:

> As of now, rarpd is working fine; the 3/50 is able to get its IP number
> from the Ultrix box without any problem.  However, it seems to have some
> kind of problem  since it keeps repeating the message
>
> tftp: time-out
>
> over and over even though I do have an entry for it in /etc/inetd.conf
>
> tftp    dgram   udp     wait    /usr/etc/tftpd  tftpd -r /usr/NetBSD/Sun3/diskless/tftpboot
>
> (the netboot program is in /usr/NetBSD/Sun3/diskless/tftpboot)

Does the -r option on your system do a chroot? The Sun will look
only for 80E32A0D, with no directories prepended. You might check
your system logs to see if tftp had any complaints in starting up
or couldn't find a file requested.

To test out things, you can do a tftp yourself:

	$ tftp boothost
	tftp> get 80E32A0D
	Jan  4 11:35:18 boothost tftpd[1234]: connect from boothost
	Received 102621 bytes in 0.8 seconds
	tftp>

If you get an error message yourself, so will the Sun.

I never did get netboot working; I had to use the SunOS network boot
program. But I hear that there's a new one which I should try one day.

cjs

Curt Sampson    curt@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.