Subject: Re: Tape loading problems
To: None <raub@kushana.aero.ufl.edu>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/04/1996 13:31:51
> From: raub@kushana.aero.ufl.edu (Mauricio Tavares)
> Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1996 12:30:22 -0500 (EST)

> While shopping for shruberries, Perry Hutchison pondered:

> 	Well, so we are back to network install.
>
>         I've found Ultrix has bootparamd installed (Thanks Markus).
> Theoretically, I can boot a diskless Sun from it.  Now, how to is where
> the fun begins.
>
> As of now, rarpd is working fine; the 3/50 is able to get its IP number
> from the Ultrix box without any problem.  However, it seems to have some
> kind of problem  since it keeps repeating the message
>
> tftp: time-out
>
> over and over even though I do have an entry for it in /etc/inetd.conf
>
> tftp    dgram   udp     wait    /usr/etc/tftpd  tftpd -r /usr/NetBSD/Sun3/diskless/tftpboot

So, the tftpd will do a chroot(2) into that directory, right?

> (the netboot program is in /usr/NetBSD/Sun3/diskless/tftpboot)

> I've put a link to netboot in /usr/NetBSD/Sun3/diskless/tftpboot
>
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root           32 Jan  4 11:24 80E32A0D@ -> /usr/NetBSD/Sun3/install/netboot
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root            8 Jan  4 12:00 80E32A0D.SUN3@ -> 80E32A0D

Those symlinks will not work if the tftpd does a chroot call.
Try just using hard links, or make them work relative to the
current directory (i.e.)
  80E32A0D -> netboot.sun3
  80E32A0D.SUN3 -> netboot.sun3

Then the Sun client should be able to TFTP.

Gordon