Subject: Re: Tape loading problems
To: Perry Hutchison <perryh@pluto.rain.com>
From: Mauricio Tavares <raub@kushana.aero.ufl.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/04/1996 12:30:22
While shopping for shruberries, Perry Hutchison pondered:

> > I was able to borrow one of those Sun tape drives
> > that reads the 150MB tapes ... made then the two NetBSD tapes ...
> > went back to the 3/50.
> >
> > >b st()
> > Boot: st(0,0,0)
> > st: Error:
> >         sense key is 5  error is 0
> > scsi: dma never completed
> >         sense key is 6  error is 0
> > scsi: dma never completed
>
> Quite possibly your 3/50's boot ROM does not support the QIC-150
> drive.  The older ones will only handle a 60MB drive.

	Well, so we are back to network install.

        I've found Ultrix has bootparamd installed (Thanks Markus).
Theoretically, I can boot a diskless Sun from it.  Now, how to is where
the fun begins.

As of now, rarpd is working fine; the 3/50 is able to get its IP number
from the Ultrix box without any problem.  However, it seems to have some
kind of problem  since it keeps repeating the message

tftp: time-out

over and over even though I do have an entry for it in /etc/inetd.conf

tftp    dgram   udp     wait    /usr/etc/tftpd  tftpd -r /usr/NetBSD/Sun3/diskless/tftpboot

(the netboot program is in /usr/NetBSD/Sun3/diskless/tftpboot)

My /etc/bootparams file looks like this:

keshya	root=kushana:/usr/NetBSD/export/root \
	swap=kushana:/usr/NetBSD/export/swap \
	dump=kushana:/usr/NetBSD/export/dump

and my /etc/exports file looks like this:

/usr/NetBSD/Sun3 			-o
/usr/NetBSD/Sun3/install 		-r=0 keshya
/usr/NetBSD/Sun3/diskless 		-r=0 keshya
/usr/NetBSD/Sun3/diskless/tftpboot 	-r=0 keshya
/usr/NetBSD/Sun3/diskless/root 		-r=0 keshya
/usr/NetBSD/Sun3/diskless/share 	-r=0 keshya
/usr/NetBSD/Sun3/diskless/swap 		-r=0 keshya

I've put a link to netboot in /usr/NetBSD/Sun3/diskless/tftpboot

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root           32 Jan  4 11:24 80E32A0D@ -> /usr/NetBSD/Sun3/install/netboot
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root            8 Jan  4 12:00 80E32A0D.SUN3@ -> 80E32A0D

and have uncompressed version of miniroot and netbsd-rd in
/usr/NetBSD/Sun3/diskless/root:

-rw-r--r--  1 root      8388608 Dec 26 15:55 miniroot
-rw-r--r--  1 root       837481 Dec 26 15:55 netbsd-rd

since according to the docs I am supposed to have a copy of netbsd-rd in
the root directory I am providing for the 3/50 (/etc/bootparams).  About
miniroot, I just put it there since I did not have a better place to put it.

	What have I right now?  The 3/50 is able to ask the DEC 5000 for
its IP address (128.227.42.13) without any problem.  However, it seems not
to be able to go any further than that, filling the screen with

tftp: time-out.

Suggestions?

--

| Mauricio Tavares          | "We will attack...                          |