Subject: Re: Xwindows
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Boven <e.p.boven@student.utwente.nl>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/04/1996 03:42:27
Hi Jonathan, all,

> > Chris> I am having some problems getting Xwindows running on my 3.60 with 1.1.
> >
> > Chris> When i run 'startx' it starts up, but then dies part way thru with just
> > Chris> the message that X is going down, and i get a bunch of core files in my
> > Chris> directory.
> >
> > Hmm.  This sounds familiar.  I recently brought down my 3/60 to
> > upgrade to -current and add more memory.  After it came up, the
> > X server would start, all of the X applications (xterm, xload,
> > twm, etc.) would dump core and then the server would exit.
> >

> Yet another "me too". I'm seeing it on several 3/60's here. I did
> notice the ldd corrupt output as well. At one point the problem seemed to
> persist over a reboot, but thats probably just a red herring.

That's the same problem I'm having, X dumping core massively. I hadn't reported
it yet because I thought it was because my X is on an *old* Maxtor SCSI, and
everything runs fine, but slow, with _si_options 1, maybe you should try that,
too, and see if that improves stability.

Sometimes it does start up with Xwindows correctly, and I can work with it for
quite a while. Then, when doing  something X-ish like  opening another xterm, that
will dump core, and all new X-app after that, though the xterm I'm working
in does stay up. Of course, lots of other strange things can happen, all very
unpredictable. So far, the system hasn't realy  crashed in that state, and I can
log in from ttya or le0 to clean things up. With _si_options 1, it is all stable
as a rock. I'll try to see if this behaviour is dependent on X11, or the
SCSI-stuff asap, to help in finding the bug.

Paul.
 E=  /// Paul Boven <e.p.boven@student.utwente.nl> pe1nut@pi8daz.#twe.nld
    /// A2000HD, AmiTCP_4.0b and GG-II+ ethernet   QRV 145.575 MHz JO32KF
\\\/// "Run to  the bedroom,  in the suitcase on the  left   you'll  find
 \XX/ my  favourite axe"         One of my turns,   Pink Floyd,  The Wall