Subject: Re: keyboards
To: Chris Callanan <ccallana@gauss.elee.calpoly.edu>
From: Craig Dewick <cdewick@jedi.apana.org.au>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/04/1996 13:21:34
Hi Chris,

> does anyone know if sun 3 keyboards and PC keyboards use the same
> voltage and current levels??
>
> i would like to build my self a conversion box to plug a standard
> PC keyboard and the sun3 mouse in my sun3 (i really hate the type3
> keyboard)

You can't use a PC keyboard with just a plain cable adaptor because PC
keyboards use synchronous clocked serial data transfer whilst Sun keyboards
(and mice) use two-wire asynchronous serial data transfer. In a Sun machine,
there's a Zilog Z8530 (or equivalent) SCC chip dedicated just to the two
serial links used by the keyboard and mouse. PC keyboard interfaces are, in
their simplest form, a clocked shift register with some way of generating an
interrupt when a full byte of data is clocked in.

Regards,

Craig.

--
             Craig Dewick. Send email to 'cdewick@jedi.apana.org.au'
                 The Core Matrix Foundation - Sydney, Australia