Subject: Re: keyboards
To: Chris Callanan <ccallana@gauss.elee.calpoly.edu>
From: michael smith <miff@lovely.spam.frisbee.net.au>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/04/1996 01:13:38
On Tue, 2 Jan 1996, Chris Callanan wrote:
> does anyone know if sun 3 keyboards and PC keyboards use the same
> voltage and current levels??

Ack.  Not to be rude, but that's not a good question to be asking.
Yes, it's likely that the two both use TTL-compatible signals, but
it's Not That Simple.

> i would like to build my self a conversion box to plug a standard
> PC keyboard and the sun3 mouse in my sun3 (i really hate the type3
> keyboard)

This would be a major project.  You would need a microcontroller and a
good understanding of the way that both PC and Sun keyboards work.

> i realize that type 4s and 5s can be used with an adaptor, but i'd
> rather not spend the money.
>
> anybody done this, or know about the voltage levels?

I've done similar things, and unless you've done this sort of thing before,
it'll be a lot cheaper (not to mention faster) for you to buy something
already designed.

Mike