Subject: Putting NetBSD-1.1 in the disk
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paulo Alexandre Pinto Pires <PAPPIRES@novell.coppead.ufrj.br>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/03/1996 14:39:33
Perhaps my problem will sound a little stupid, but I have no idea on
how to solve it.

I am taking some old Sun3/60s back to life but they were forgotten
apart for so long that their disks which had booting SunOS partitions
do not even spin anymore and the tape drivers also fail.  After some
time I could set it to boot over the network and now one of them is
running NetBSD-1.1.  Now I have got a working SCSI disk which I
successfully disklabeled and soft-formatted with newfs, and which I
can mount even when booting with nfs.

The problem arrives when I try to boot from this disk.  I am not sure
if bootstraping binaries were actually written after i have run

        installboot ufsboot bootxx /dev/rsd0c

because when I change booting device from le0 to sd(0,0,0) I get many
different error messages from the ROM, from illegal instructions to
bus errors, also through those "si(0,0,0) medium" errors and "expected
10 got 6" thing.  I don't even know if this is the correct syntax to
installboot or if these are the correct binaries.

Please, if you have *any* working clue and experience you could
share, send me your help because I need these machines up and working
as soon as possible.  Even if they look like museum pieces, they may
still be useful to our lab here.

Thanks in advance.

Um abraco.
        Pappires