Subject: Small questions.
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Black Ice <STEVE@argonaut.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 09/05/1995 10:29:56
Hi, I've only recently joined this list, so forgive me if these are commonly
asked (and answered) questions.

I've brought one of my Sun3s to work, so I can net-boot it, but I haven't
brought my monitor, keyboard or mouse. (In fact, all of these are sitting
quite a long way away at the moment <Sigh>).  Does NetBSD use a serial
console on port A in the same way that SunOS will, so I can actually boot it
up and get all the networking bits working so I can use it properly...
(BTW, does a break signal from the terminal still halt the machine under
NetBSD?  I'd imagine that is in hardware, but it might be possible to trap?)

Also, is it possible to use Linux to netboot them?  We do have some Suns, but
they're in another building so using them to netboot would mean a very slow
64k link between sites....
Will the Linux bootpd do something like that?  It allows looking up of IP
addresses, and provision of a boot file - probably for booting PCs or
something, but would it also boot a Sun?
Alternatively, I could use one of the remote Suns to act as rarp and
bootparam server, and then get my Sun to mount its file systems from
somewhere local by providing a modified bootparam file.... ?

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Steve.
--
Two plus two does not equal five, even for moderately large values of two.