Subject: Re: Question on NFS install
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-sun3
Date: 09/05/1995 09:47:35
On Sep 4, 10:04am, Ben Walters wrote:

> > I'm trying to get my Sun3/60 to boot off of my Linux machine.
> > I've been following your instructions on doing the install,
> > but in step 3 it says to Copy the diskless boot program, which
> > appears to be called boot.sun3.
> >
> > I can not find that file.  Maybe i'm missing something, or maybe
> > i'm just an idiot, but could you please help me out.
>
> The file wasn't included in the distribution - I think because it is
> Sun code (is that right?).  You should be able to get a copy from
> either a SunOS machine that has the capabilities to serve diskless
> Sun3s, *OR* I happened to notice that the Linux Xkernel package (a
> minimal OS for a diskless Sun3 that allows them to function as X
> terminals from a Linux system... Ihave a suspicion this might be based
> on SunOS...) includes the boot.sun3 program.  You should be able to
> find it on sunsite.unc.edu some in /pub/Linux/system/Network.  You'll
> also find rpc.bootparamd in the Xkernel package...
>
> Good luck,
> Ben
>
> PS I'd be interest to hear what kinda problems you ran into getting it to
> boot... we finally managed to get our 3/60 to boot from one of our Linux
> boxes yesterday :)

I had a play with an old Sun 3/60 we were given last week, and I just
assumed than "boot.sun3" was a typo.  Instead of:

	"ln -s boot.sun3 hex-IP"

I used:

	"ln -s netboot hex-IP"

And everything worked ok...

Simon.
--
Simon Burge						simonb@telstra.com.au
UNIX Support, CPR Project, Telstra.			+61 3 9634 3974