Subject: boot trouble
To: None <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 07/25/1995 16:53:32
> Date: Tue, 25 Jul 1995 16:42:41 -0400
> From: der Mouse <mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu>

> I'm trying to set up NetBSD/sun3 on a Sun-3/50.  I put the disk on
> another Sun to partition it and install the binary snapshot; everything
> went fine.  I stole /boot and the first-level boot block from a handy
> Sun running release 3.5 (ancient, I know, but it was handy).
>
> But when I try to boot....
>
> 	>b sd()netbsd -s
> 	Boot: sd(0,0,0)netbsd -s
> 	Load: sd(0,0,0)boot
> 	Boot: sd(0,0,0)netbsd
> 	Size: 583904Address Error, PC fetch at 000A5864
> 	>

I can't really help with the SunOS boot program.  Maybe the kernel
needs to use a slightly different format or something...

Why don't you try the NetBSD/sun3 boot programs?
Is is just for lack of an installation method?

Could you put that disk on the other sun and compile the NetBSD/sun3
version of installboot to run on that machine?

I have been thinking about working on a boot tape.
Would that help?

There is always NFS boot if you have a server handy.

Gordon