Subject: Re: mc68882
To: Duncan McRae <duncanm@tplrd.tpl.oz.au>
From: J.T. Conklin <jtc@cygnus.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 07/19/1995 14:33:20
>>>>> "Duncan" == Duncan McRae <duncanm@tplrd.tpl.oz.au> writes:
Duncan> The '8882 just slots in. Should give about 10-15% improvement
Duncan> on math instructions.

But this probably won't help X much.  The X server and most apps don't
do that much floating point.

Duncan> Of course, the on-chip MMU and cache aren't enabled, and I
Duncan> don't know of the measure of improvement with the '030.

Hmmm, the work I'm doing on the 3/80 might be able to be tweaked to
recognise a '030.  I wonder if the Sun MMU can be disabled?  I'll have
to check the arch manual.

Duncan> I _do_ compile my stuff with -m68030 flag under gcc, so I
Duncan> might get a few extra instructions (unknown).

There is no difference between gcc's -m68020 and -m68030.  I believe
that there are no differences in the user instruction set between the
two parts.

	--jtc