Subject: sun3 trouble, round 2
To: None <mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 04/23/1995 16:43:33
> Date: Sat, 22 Apr 1995 15:58:19 -0400
> From: der Mouse <mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu>

> Some of you may recall that a day or two ago I sent a note to port-sun3
> saying that
>
> > I'm having trouble booting NetBSD/sun3 diskless.  Something inside
> > the kernel seems to be returning ENOBUFS.
> [...]
> > panic: nfs_boot: bootparam whoami, error=55
>
> I got a couple of suggestions; one of them said that this was because
> the kernel was assuming the RPC reply fit into a single mbuf.  This
> meant I had to shrink either the hostname or the domainname in the
> WHOAMI reply.  I shrank both, changing the hostname from
> Daily-Planet.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA to D-P and the domainname from
> a4d0e0f1bb28e8e6db9dc68b26197e20 to a4d0e0f1.  And the problem
> magically evaporated.
>
> Well, _that_ problem, at least.  As you've probably guessed, I now have
> another one.  Now, I get this.  ("b -s" works because I symlinked
> vmunix->netbsd in the NFS root area, for ease of booting.)

Yeah, that nfs_boot.c code really needs to be fixed.
It's my fault that it's broken.  I'll fix it when I can...

As for the problem with console tty:  The Sun3/160 is somehow
different from the others, causing the zs driver to break.
If anyone has any clues please speak up!  Chuck Silvers was
working on this but had to leave the work, last I heard.
I don't have any Sun3/160 machines, so I can't help.

Our last suspicion was that something in the ZS chip config
or interrupt acknowledge mechanism is incorrect...

Gordon